DPHIL IN SOCIOLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD
Senior Research Affiliate
- Consult for Ladysmith Ventures, a feminist research consultancy that supports international organisations to promote gender equality from an intersectional perspective.
DPhil, Doctoral Research
- DPhil thesis examines women’s mobilisation Colombia. The thesis aims to test and refine the parameters of High Risk Feminism (HRF), an original framework with the potential to shed light on the lived experiences of women living in conditions of high risk, and how and why they mobilise.
- Conduct in-depth, qualitative research in marginalised neighbourhoods in Usme (Bogotá), Turbaco (Bolívar), and Riohacha (la Guajira)
August 2015-June 2018
- Conduct research, record, and code cases of corporate complicity in human rights violations documented by Truth Commissions as directed by Professor Leigh Payne
- Project funded by: Open Society Foundation, “Corporate Responsibility for Human Rights Violations during past Dictatorships and Armed Conflicts: Promoting Strategic Litigation and Truth Commissions,” 2015-2017
- Researched and documented cases of corporate human rights abuses, including judicial outcomes. Research added to global database for the “Business of Human Rights: Patterns and Remedies in Corporate Abuses” Project, under supervision of Dr. Leigh Payne
- Conducted 60+ in-depth qualitative interviews in the Dominican Republic (July 2017) as part of the country’s Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) to determine individual and community perceptions of poverty.
- Wrote report on qualitative findings of above study, assessing the ability of the Dominican Republic’s new Multidimensional Poverty Index to capture the lived realities of the country’s poor.
- Collaborated with stakeholders for high-level international meetings (incl. Multidimensional Poverty Peer Network Annual Meetings, United Nations Side Event at General Assembly, United Nations Side Event at Statistical Commission, Cartagena Data Festival Meeting, etc).
- Presented OPHI and potential MPI development proposals before ministers and UNDP in Cuba
- Independently designed and taught: Movimientos Sociales de Mujeres en Latinoamerica as an optional course through the Department of Sociology [in Spanish] to undergraduate and graduate students (approx. 25 students)
Legal Research Intern
- Produced 10 page summaries for each of 4+ Latin American countries regarding legal norms and regulations around adolescent consent vis-a-vis access to sexual healthcare services
Field Work Experience in El Salvador, MPhil Thesis Research
- Conducted in-depth interviews with various women's organizations in San Salvador
- Monitored and evaluated community projects in Chalatenango region (participant observation)
- Compiled archived qualitative data from women's research organizations and publications
Cartagena, Colombia, Oct 2016
International Election Observer
Objectively monitored and reported on the 2 October 2016 Colombian Peace Plebiscite between the government and the FARC-EP
Maharashtra, India, Nov 2015
Journalist, Press Team
Conducted interviews with social activists, the heads of NGOs, lawyers, police chiefs, and Snehalaya India programme beneficiaries to cover the #HerVoice campaign against sexual violence targeting women and girls in India
Research published in Times of India, The Independent, the Times Education Supplement, The Telegraph
El Salvador, Summer 2013
Researched key political information for the 2014 Salvadoran presidential elections
Produced a detailed summary in the ‘Delegate's Package’ for Intl. Elections Observers
Queen's University, 2009-2012
Directed $120,000 budget (achieved full funding for projects in Guyana, Canada, Kenya, Belize)
Designed and coordinated health education programs with the Guyanese Red Cross
Taught classes in Georgetown, Guyana, providing health education (e.g. sexual and reproductive health, hygiene, nutrition, and communication) in urban communities